Cambodian young people are joining the global conversation in the
blogosphere and sharing their perspectives through different forms of
grassroots citizen's media thanks to the efforts of a dedicated team of
Cambodian bloggers. This team has been working on a voluntary basis to
conduct 14 workshops called “Personal Information Technology Workshop” at 14 different universities in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap with more than 1700 students participating.
They are organizing the first "Cambodian Blogger Summit (aka Cloggers Summit)"
to take place 30-31 August 2007 in Cambodia. The idea is to bring
together students, professional Bloggers, writers, NGO workers, media,
and tech gurus from within and outside Cambodia to share and learn more
from each other on about how the ICT (including Open Source Software
and Web2.0 tools) can make their study, work, and life easier.
I've been given an opportunity to help by leading a training and
sharing my experience with nonprofits and social media. Here's what I'm
going to do:
- A train the trainers workshop with the Cambodian blogging
team to share resource information, answer questions, and exchange
ideas for teaching young people how to use social media in a developing
country like Cambodia
- Keynote welcome
- A conference workshop on blogging techniques and video blogging techniques
- Bring over 3 video blogging kits (inexpensive camera, a book, batteries, and SD cards) that will be used as "prizes" to encourage new bloggers
- Learn about and document how the blogging team is doing outreach and encouraging new bloggers and share on my blog
- Identify and interview 3-5 amazing Cambodian BlogHers and post on BlogHer site
- Bring a suitcase of donated technology and nonprofit t-shirts for participants (they have no budget for scwhag)
- Document the learnings from this personal fundraising campaign
I need your help. I'm raising $4,000 and the amazing folks at ChipIn
are matching 50% of my donations. So, I'm turning to the power of
personal fundraising and hoping that you, my readers, friends of my
readers, and friends will support in my desire to make a difference in
Cambodia. Even a donation of $20 will help.
Timing is running out. I need to reach my goal by August 10th so I can
book my plane travel and I will continue to fundraise up until the date
of my departure, tentatively scheduled August 25th. With your help, I
know this can happen.
So, here's what I need you to do:
- Make a donation. If 100 of my readers each donate $20, that will make the campaign successful!
- Blog about this campaign and repost the fundraising badge on your blog
- Forward the url to your colleagues and friends and ask them to contribute or repost.
- Have at least three or more new t-shirts from a tech or nonprofit tech organization? I'd love to pack them in my suitcase!