The Chronicle of Philanthropy has launched a new podcast series called Social Good with host Allison Fine.
The first installment is called "Turning Friends Into Supporters." The guests include Jonathan Colman of the Nature Conservancy and Carie Lewis of the Humane Society of the United States.
The podcast is short and worth a listen. Here's a few takeaways:
- Your supporters already have a voice, but Facebook gives them access to organizations to join the conversation.
- We've started out focusing on building our email list, but we've learned that people don't necessarily want to be on our email list. So, there is a value in communicating with people where they are.
- People don't join social networks to give to a charity. They join to connect with their friends. Our job is to show them that they can do more like support a Cause.
- If you are a smaller organization, the best way to get started is to find someone who is comfortable using these tools and familiar with your program. Have them show you what they know.
- It's a tough year and it is important to become diligent in measuring your campaigns and looking at change over time.