- Fish where the fish are. Put your content out where your people already are
- Don't be afraid to put your content out there off your home base
- Built a four foot tall running man and dragged it across Boston - asked it questions. People talked to the running man like they had know him for years.
- Better responses than focus groups. They did videos - talktorunningman.com a lot of conversations were funny. Originally doing it because it was funny. But people started uploading their own videos. They had tons of conversations and were able to analyze people's relationship with the brand.
- Took two notebooks with "AIM" or "AOL" on two notebooks. Asked people to write in them. Discovered that people had opposite reactions and formed the basis the a re-branding strategy.
surveys - because they are guarded. So, non-traditional techniques
will get better insights."
Social Media for Social Change
"I'm a millenial and I really want to change the world."
- New term "viral cause messaging" - if your corporate message can have a call to action.
- Social Media for Social Change - $21,000 for Jane Doe
- Have your message be the call the action - people will be your messengers
- Millenials will outnumber the babyboomers
- We grew up with a different lifestyle than other generations
- The first computer was released was when we were toddlers, when were in first grade Tim Berners-Lee invented the www, junior high the palm pilot - we've lived our lives with these gadgets. We've grown up with all this - and take for it granted.
- We research your brand before we buy
- It's all about relationships
- Those relationships happen online.
- We are self-centered - listen to us.
- Reacte to what we say! We think more positively about your organization or company if you start a blog. You have to engage us!
- Empower us with your brand!
- If you are not authentically interested in us, we'll know right away and hate you!