Flickr Photo by Veesees
Elise Bauer, a food blogger who writes Simple Recipes. She does this talk because she gets a lot of traffic. She has 1,000,000 feed readers. She has been experimenting over the past few years.
- Why do you want traffic? Has to support your goals and capacity.
- She looks at traffic building in three elements: content, community, and technology that you use to support.
- Content: Three most important elements of content - useful, entertaining, or timely. Do at least one or all well.
- Focus: If you want your audience to grow, you need to focus. This is important in terms of community building.
- Post frequently but not at the expense of quality, use images and photographs, write well, compelling headlines, shorter posts, keep it real, and use different formats. If you want to build an audience, use punctuation.
- Invest in a dslr camera - quality good images manner
- Blog about something you care about
- Keep at it
- Difference between broadcasting your message and engaging
- It's not about you unless you are extraordinarily interesting
- It's not about putting your words out there and letting them go ...
- Leave thoughtful comments - don't being an annoying self-promoter
- Plan and participate in events
- Be generous
- Link to blogs at are at the same stage as you
- Make it easy to load
- Everything in your side bar should have a purpose - a car with a bunch of bumper stickers and can't see the car
- Font size important
- Know the basics of search engines optimization (see the page in her presentation, there are some great tips)
What are your tips for getting traffic to your blog?