Please don't laugh too hard. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I've had a problem for many years. I am and have been addicted to Outlook. There, I've named it .. now I can claim it!
When Gmail came out a few years ago, I read the raves from other NpTechers. I set up an account, but alas I never used it much. Every time I tried to switch from Outlook, I felt so uncomfortable, overwhelmed, and so stressed that I reverted back to my Outlook habit in less than 24 hours.
When I met Miles Maier and read about his Office 2.0 experiment, I thought I really need to change or try an experiment and blog about it like Miles. There is something I could, perhaps, learn and share. But, I just couldn't give up that comfort blanket that is Outlook. And, then it got to be so shameful ....
In one of my workshops recently, I talked about online web applications -- the value and benefits as well as the drawbacks. Why is that I could easily make the switch from PowerPoint to SlideShare -- from Word to Google Docs from Excel to Google Spreadsheets? But why can't shift from Outlook to gmail? Would I never reap the full benefit of the social life of office documents?
I've had a history of getting so used to my email clients that I just can't change. It started back in the late 1980's or early 1990s with PINE. Remember PINE? I loved PINE. I used it until about 1995 when I was the last respectable geek in my crowd not using Eudora!
I loved Eudora and it's why I live at the post office too! I lived in Eudora and refused to switch. I held out until about 1999 or maybe 2000. I made several noble attempts to switch to Outlook, but felt so much discomfort I was back in Eudora in less than 24 hours. Finally, I did make the switch.
And, then, there was time I lagged from switching from leaving my beloved Covey (PAPER) organizer to a PDA. I tried and failed so many times. Then I kept dual systems and finally about 2-3 years ago, I made a partial switch - may calendar. I could never let go of writing my to do list on index cards or a pad. I don't use that feature in Outlook.
This painful crash and realization that I'm switching to a MAC ... has given me some renewed hope that I can quit Outlook. I'm trying ...
I'm keeping my last .pst backup in Outlook for archival purposes. I have:
- Exported my calendar information from Outlook into Google Calendar after learning about the privacy functions and relieved that you set up reminders.
- Exported my contacts from Outlook into Gmail. It worked. I even found a Linked In tool bar. I had been using Plaxo and am now need to figure out if there is a browser toolbar that works with gmail.
- I don't use Outlook for tasks, I like paper for that. So, nothing funky here.
- In Outlook, I have extensive folder file system with accompanying rules. I discovered the "labels" and "filters" and have set them up to mirror what I had in Outlook.
- Since I use my own domain name, I set up gmail to grab bethkanter.org email from pop server. I switched my treo to grab my gmail email -- and also have Outlook configured to grab gmail email. The only reason is that I want to make sure that nothing is getting lost. Then I will disable Outlook account information and just keep that archive until I've transfered all my historic info that I really need.
- How to synch my treo calendar with google calendar
Anyone have any tips?